change patient pic and other questions

For users or potential users.
DrChoy

change patient pic and other questions

Post by DrChoy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:24 pm

I accidently have a pt pic on the wrong pt image folder. When I try to delete it, it says "not authorized for image delete". How can I change the photo and delete the wrong one?

When I start a new perio chart, even though I have indicated that #1 is already missing, the chart always starts at charting tooth #1. The chart is grayed out to indicate it's missing. It automatically skips the other missing teeth once we start entering values but not for #1.

How can I change an pre-made procedure button? For example, the ENDO category has a pre-made RCT, Buildup, crown group code. However, I want to change the buildup procedure code to a prefab post and core code. Where is the option to change that? Or do I need to make a new set of group codes?

Arna

Re: change patient pic and other questions

Post by Arna » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:14 am

The reason you can't change the patient picture is because your permissions don't allow it. That can be changed in Setup>Security. You can grant yourself (and anyone else in the same permission group as you) the image delete permission and you will then be able to remove that photo. Before you do that though, you might want to consider if you have a copy of that photo to put in the actual patient's file it belongs in. If you do, great! If not, export the photo somewhere easy to find, I like the desktop, and add to the patient's file who owns that photo. Once you are happy that the photo is in the right account, delete the photo from the patient who doesn't own it. To get patient pictures to show up in the appointment and family modules, the photo needs to be in the folder 'Patient Pictures'.

The perio chart issue is known to us and for right now, the workaround will have to be to physically click on tooth #2 (or the next tooth that is not missing) and start charting. I will escalate this concern to our engineers.

To change the premade procedure buttons go to Setup>Procedure Buttons. In this case, the button uses both procedure codes (crown and the crown seat) as well as Auto Codes (RCT and BU/P&C). If you always do a prefab post and core, regardless of what kind of tooth, unhighlight the BU&P/C Auto code and add the procedure code instead. If you chart different codes depending on what kind of tooth you are working on (posterior vs. anterior), you will need to modify your Auto Codes to reflect what you perform in your office and then select that Auto Code in the procedure code edit window.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

DrChoy

Post by DrChoy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:07 am

Thanks for your reply. I came across another question.

How can I select which medical history form to use and how do I set the default one? Currently, only the simple med history is available to choose for a patient even though the new pt med history is in sheets setup?

Also in the surface box to enter a treatment in patient chart, it's not possible to simply delete the surfaces to start the entry over if entered wrong? I would have to type over the surfaces until I get it correct?

Arna

Post by Arna » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:44 pm

To add a new sheet from the internal list- go to setup>sheets. Select the sheet you want to add to your "pool" and Copy that template across to the Custom List. It is now available for use and editing. If the Medical History New is the only Medical History sheet in the custom list, it is your default. If it is not, you will have to choose which sheet you want the patient to fill in.

If you make a mistake with surface entry, Open Dental is going to want you to correct that before it lets you save that treatment. You can double click on a procedure and change the surfaces. Open Dental will prompt you to change the code if needed (say you originially charted a 2 surface filling but need a 3 surface code now). The other option is to delete the procedure and start again, but it is so easy to edit that deleting should not really be part of your regular workflow- it's easier to learn not to delete in the first place.

Arna Meyer

DrChoy

Post by DrChoy » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:32 pm

I looked over backups in the manual. I like to use Karen's replicator and was wondering which folders need to be backed up rather than use the OD built-in backup tool.

Arna

Post by Arna » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:54 pm

You definitely need to back up your OD database. That is *typically* installed to C:/mysql/data. If you are not sure, contact us, we'll help you locate it.
You should also back up your OpenDentImages folder as that is where all your patient documentation is stored (scanned images, pictures etc.)
If you are considering an automated backup system, be mindful that the backup could interfere with your OD usage. The reason is that some backup strategies lock database tables temporarily while they are copying. If you try to use the program and need that data, Open Dental won't be able to handle that and give you an error message. I recommend backing up after hours in this case. Also test those backups!!! Make sure that data is good. There is nothing more devastating than thinking you have good data and when your server crashes, you find out that the data is useless.

Arna Meyer

DrChoy

Post by DrChoy » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:28 am

I found the MySQL data and plan to backup the entire folder since it's maybe 100MB at the most. I'm unfamiliar with MySQL and had a few questions to setup my backup software. Do I need to "sync" my backup? Meaning does my backup software have to replicate file and folder deletions also? And should I copy files whether it's new or old or just new ones and any old files are fine to leave unchanged on the backup with added new files?

Arna

Post by Arna » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm not quite understanding your question, however I'll take a stab at it and if I am off, please feel free to ask again.
You should set your backup software to make a new, unique backup each time you make a copy of your data. You do NOT want to have your backups set to override previous backups of your data. This is very dangerous and can ruin good backups that you have restored and verified. If, by chance, your database was corrupted and then you backup that corrupt database to override a known good one, you are really left with no *decent* options to get your office up and running easily. I've seen this happen and it's devastating.
Additionally, you should consider archiving a good backup for the last week, month and year. That way you have a few good databases to lean on in the rare emergency that your office goes down. Additionally, don't rely solely on automated, online backups. Consider making a manual copy of your data onto a removable drive, so again, if you need a quick restore (such as a power outage on your server and no internet), you are prepared to get up and running without too much fuss.
Backups are all about risk mitigation. The more options you have in an emergency, the less impact your practice will experience.
Please contact our support line if you would like to discuss this. We are always willing to help our customers with backups!

Arna Meyer

doctordoom

Post by doctordoom » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:42 pm

I believe you just have to back up the opendental folder inside the MYSQL folder and also the opendentimages folder.

I use karen' s replicator and those are the two i back up.

DrChoy

Post by DrChoy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:09 am

Is there a way to change the color of chart info on the LR? For example, future appointments are currently highlighted in green and today's appts are highlighted in yellow.

Arna

Post by Arna » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Sure is- If you could do me a favor and start a new thread so that future observers of these topics can find the answer easily.
I'll go ahead and add the answer to the new thread

Arna Meyer