Open Dental enforces distinct tooth surfaces

For users or potential users.
mowgli

Open Dental enforces distinct tooth surfaces

Post by mowgli » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:45 am

Open Dental software doesn't allow 2 of the same surface in a single filling code for a tooth. For example, one dental office wants to submit a D2393 3-surface filling with OOL as surfaces. I suggested they post a 2-surface code with OL and a 1-surface code with O (which Open Dental accepts on the same tooth) rather than combining them. The dentist is not sure the insurance company will accept the 2 separate filling codes on the same tooth. Since my field is not dentistry or insurance, but only computers, I'm posting the question here at their request, wondering if any other offices have a problem with this solution. Thanks for any ideas from you experts!

Toothdr97

Re: Open Dental enforces distinct tooth surfaces

Post by Toothdr97 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:51 am

My experience with dental insurance is that they will NOT allow two separate codes on the same tooth. They will combine it and pay for a 3 surface. Delta will not pay for a B and then 8 months later an O is done. They state that they will not pay for fillings on the same tooth within 2 years!
Insurance, ugh!!!

Jorgebon

Post by Jorgebon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:11 pm

My experience has been that no insurance will pay for an OOL filling. They only allow you to bill once for each surface. There might be exceptions but I've never seen any.
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:20 pm

I believe the directions for the claim form state that only one of each surface is allowed. I might be wrong. I've never heard of anyone trying to submit such a procedure. I'm 98% sure the insurance company would laugh at the dentist and downgrade it to a 2 surface filling.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com