Who in your office completes appointments

For users or potential users.
afeuer

Who in your office completes appointments

Post by afeuer » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm trying to get a feel for how offices use OD. Such as who does what when. Here is how I'm planning on adapting our office.

Patient walks in and the receptionist collects personal information and insurance. Then she uses the messaging buttons to notify the assistant that the patient is ready. While in the chair, the assistant will change/add any procedures that we are doing today. Now here is where I need help.

Does the assistant complete the procedures individually or does she complete the appointment? Or does the receptionist complete the appointment and the assistant completes the procedures?

Do you setup a planned appointment before you enter procedure notes? Usually we let the patient go and then sit down and enter all the procedures and notes after. I don't think this will work anymore though.

Also, is it common practice for offices to bill all patients based on estimated insurance? We don't do it currently and we expect a lot of upset people if we start.

Thanks for your input,
-Adam

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Who in your office completes appointments

Post by jordansparks » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:31 pm

The assistant completes the appointment immediately after seating the patient. The notes get done while the patient is in the chair. Patient doesn't leave the chair until notes are done. You'll love it once you get used to it. No more incomplete charts. And when the patient gets to the front desk, everyone knows that their procedures are accurate and won't be later altered. So the receptionist knows that it's safe to bill insurance when the patient gets to the front desk.

You can exclude those patients from the batch billing if you want.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com