Modifications to the Race/Ethnicity dropdown?

For users or potential users.
drbobw

Modifications to the Race/Ethnicity dropdown?

Post by drbobw » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:32 pm

I realize these are more associated with the public health side but know I'll be asked to make modifications.

Spent a bit of time reviewing the database and its structure but haven't come across the table where the race/ethnicity info is secured.

EDIT: Not the result stored within the patient record but the actual selection drop down choices...

I checked briefly through the definitions, preferences, patient and screening tables but with the exception of some potentially scrambled entries - I hadn't seen anything overly obvious - at least not yet - and figured somewhere here probably had already tackled this...

Any suggestions or is that just a limitation in the trial version?

EDIT: Disregard...these currently appear to be hardcoded. Any chance of this changing shortly?

Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:47 pm

Right. It's hard coded as an enumeration. The options are those required by the Federal government for public health, so we thought we pretty much had it covered for a while. What other options are you looking for?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

drbobw

Post by drbobw » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:21 am

jordansparks wrote:Right. It's hard coded as an enumeration. The options are those required by the Federal government for public health, so we thought we pretty much had it covered for a while. What other options are you looking for?
As with all too many things - especially with data - people usually will want more once they see what the system is capable of. Although this list may encompass the groupings currently in use by many Fed agencies - others and specific States and clients are interested in further breakdowns (e.g. specific Indian Tribes) and would prefer not to leave the data entry to either a blank - unknown - or other.

I couldn't agree more that standardization will be a great benefit but until that concensus is reached within the States and specific clients - the flexibility is something that all too often comes up as a request.

The next round of digging will include the BSS sections as that usually comes up too.

I know that and others will come up in discussions and rather than have to upgrade to another version once Feds / States change their minds on a specific grouping or how they want to further delineate the data for research concerns - I figured I'd ask.

Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:08 pm

The solution, of course, it to eventually turn it into another table in the database.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com