backup not saving A-Z folder after migration to new server

For users or potential users.
drtbar

backup not saving A-Z folder after migration to new server

Post by drtbar » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:56 am

I posted this once already, but it didn't show up. Hope it doesn't show up as a double post. Anywho, I migrated all my opendental data to a new server that I built and almost everything is working great. I installed the trial version, got that up and working, then restored from backup using opendental's restore option. The problem I'm having now is when I try to backup, it backs up the database fine, but gets to "calculating space for A-Z folder" and it just quits. I know it takes longer than that as the A-Z folder is 5.11gb.

I do eventually want to use another backup option and have done a fair amount of reading in the forums about available options, but haven't found one to my liking as of yet. So in the mean time, I want to get this backup option working.

Any ideas as to why it isn't backing up the A-Z folder?

Rickliftig

Re: backup not saving A-Z folder after migration to new server

Post by Rickliftig » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:11 pm

That happened to me also. I found that by formatting the flashdrive with a quick format, the problem was solved. OD was not seeing that the flash drive had enough free space - as you may know, windows doesn't really erase files, it hides them until you 'really' erase them. It was annoying to do it every time, but I am now in the habit.

This is one of the reasons that Jordan is working on the new backup scheme - It ain't a backup unless it's been tested.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

drtbar

Re: backup not saving A-Z folder after migration to new server

Post by drtbar » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:08 pm

That did it, thanks a ton!

Backup seems to be A LOT quicker as well (5min vs 1hr), but not sure if quick format is what did it or because of my new build. I'm backing up 5.11gb of A-Z folder/images, and 4gb of Suni digital xrays.