?Payment Type on Deposit Slip Printout

For users or potential users.
DavidWolf

?Payment Type on Deposit Slip Printout

Post by DavidWolf » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:18 am

I doubt this will be a big priority but also don't think that it would be hard to add.

Would it be possible to get the "payment type" to show on the deposit slip printout?

Thanks,
Dave Wolf

drtech

Post by drtech » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:19 am

yes...categorized by payment type with sub totals would be great! We currently print out separate slips for each type.
David Fuchs
Dentist - Springfield, MO
Smile Dental http://www.887-smile.com

DonDDS

Post by DonDDS » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:27 pm

I have been asking this feature.... eversince we moved to OD from Mogo.....Sept 2005. :(
LumaDent, Inc | CEO & Founder
OD since 2006, ex-Mogo, ex-Dentrix

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:18 am

Our reporting engine does not generate subtotals. So we would have to hard code the report generation. Possible, but difficult.

We use this feature every day, and I totally fail to see why you would have more than one payment type on a deposit slip. Don't you just want checks on it? Cash is handled separately by the accounting system. You don't deposit the exact same amount of cash as you brought in for the day. You also wouldn't itemize cash. As for credit cards, why would you need a deposit slip for that? That money goes directly into your checking account.

Could somebody please fill me in? I'm clueless here.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Nate

Post by Nate » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:53 am

I dont have a problem with the print out, but I do have cash and checks on my deposit slip.
Cash is handled separately by the accounting system. You don't deposit the exact same amount of cash as you brought in for the day. You also wouldn't itemize cash
Why would you not deposit the same amount of cash that you received that day? How else would you handle the cash, other then deposit it with the checks and at the same time?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:03 pm

Each staff person has a cashbox. The current balance of each cashbox is kept in the Accounting section of OD. Anytime a patient makes a cash payment, the cash gets routed to the correct cashbox automatically. It's an entirely separate process for us to remove cash in order to make a deposit. I guess I simply never considered trying to make daily cash deposits. I always considered the deposit step as an entirely separate step, where the amount withdrawn from the various cashboxes did not have exactly correlate with amounts that went in.

OK, so cash on one deposit slip, and checks on another. Isn't this how the bank would want it anyway?
Jordan Sparks, DMD

cneelley

Post by cneelley » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:46 pm

I treat cash and checks the same, and I place both cash and checks on the deposit slip together. I depost that in my bank each day.

I then make a deposit for credit cards on a separate deposit for each day. I keep the credit card slips and match them to the close out total slip that is generated each day by my credit card mcahine, and put those in a separate envelope. Thus I have 2 deposits for each day, and the total "better" match the total collections for that day.

There is no good reason to treat cash differently than checks, especially as regards accounting. Some people, I think, but I don't know for sure, don't report their cash collections, but that is not the right thing to do. I think it is bad policy, and definitely illegal, and not worth the potential problems, but that is just me.

I guess you could have a slush fund, or just a place where you always have cash. If it were me, I would have a bag with cash, say $100, that must have a total of $100 or cash receipts that all total $100. Excess cash mut be deposited into the bank.

Dr. Neelley

klinlv

Post by klinlv » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:05 pm

The MICR encoded bank deposit slips the I have list subtotals for cash and checks separately and the have a total for the deposit. It would would make it easier to find an error if the deposit listed cash and check subtotals as well as the grand total of the bank deposit. Credit cards are handled differently since they are batched processed and automatically deposited. However it would be great to see the totals of each kind of credit card since we see it on the batch totals when it is closed for the day.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:47 pm

I remember why it doesn't make sense to put cash on the deposit slip. You don't itemize cash. If ten different patients gave you cash, the bank doesn't want to see 10 patients listed out. They want to see the count of 20s, 10s, 5s, and 1s. It's a different paradigm. At least that's my reasoning.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:51 pm

No matter what you actually give to the bank (checks and cash totals) you still would like a record of what should be deposited...total $ cash included.

We don't give the printed slips to the bank, but use those to fill out another bank deposit slip by hand and double check all entries. If you don't do this step there is a chance there will be errors in your accounts. (unless someone has a better idea, as I would like everything to be as automated as possible!) We then store the MC/Visa deposit slip along with a separate Discover deposit slip in a file to compare with records from those companies. So, currently we print 5 different slips. 1) Checks, 2) Cash, 3) MC/Visa/Debit 4) Discover 5)EFT - sometimes: 6) any refunds
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:13 pm

That would be the payment report, not the deposit slip. The deposit slip should actually be given to the bank.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

DonDDS

Post by DonDDS » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:12 pm

so... For the daily payment report, do we have the subtotal for each type of payments.... cash (of course, someone have to count), personal checks, Insurance checks..... ?
LumaDent, Inc | CEO & Founder
OD since 2006, ex-Mogo, ex-Dentrix

drtech

Post by drtech » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:41 pm

no, no subtotals on that one either...since the way reporting is done is pretty limited, we can't do subtotals easily, it is the same as the deposit slip.

I actually have never used the payment report because I thought it was basically the same as the deposit and an extra step, but I can see you could go through all your checks that way and they actually give the bank the print out deposit slip...

but it would be still best if we could have a report that is organized like the old dentrix daily report with subtotals of everything or deposit or whatever it was....
David Fuchs

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:13 pm

I have put it on the future versions page with a fairly high priority. In the meantime, here's a summary report you can run in addition to the detail.

SET @date='2007-09-25';
SELECT definition.ItemName AS PaymentType,
SUM(paysplit.SplitAmt) AS PaymentAmt
FROM payment,definition,paysplit
WHERE paysplit.DatePay=@date
AND payment.PayNum=paysplit.PayNum
AND definition.DefNum=payment.PayType
GROUP BY payment.PayType
UNION
SELECT 'Ins Checks',
SUM(claimproc.InsPayAmt) AS InsAmt
FROM claimproc
WHERE claimproc.DateCP=@date
AND (claimproc.Status=1 OR claimproc.Status=4)

I'll go ahead and turn this into a hardcoded daily report. So between the existing payment report, and the one above, that should provide the requested information.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

DavidWolf

Post by DavidWolf » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:31 pm

We use this feature every day, and I totally fail to see why you would have more than one payment type on a deposit slip. Don't you just want checks on it? Cash is handled separately by the accounting system. You don't deposit the exact same amount of cash as you brought in for the day. You also wouldn't itemize cash. As for credit cards, why would you need a deposit slip for that? That money goes directly into your checking account.

Could somebody please fill me in? I'm clueless here.
I think that many of us use the deposit slip internally for other purposes than giving it to the bank.

I print out a deposit slip for just checks which I give to the bank. But I also print out a second one for credit card charges, this is the one which I wanted the payment type printed out on so I would know which one was amex visa etc. The query you posted will work perfectly for my purposes.

I didn't realize I was touching on such a hot topic when I posted this....

As Always thanks for the efforts.....they definitely don't go unrecognized or appreciated.

Cheers,
DW

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:43 pm

The new payment report is done for v5.4. It subtotals by type and looks gorgeous. It took about 5 days, which is a huge amount of time for one small feature, so I hope it was worth it. The good news is that it forced us to start using RDL again. The better we get at using RDL, the better will be the quality of future reports. Anyway, it's done.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

drtech

Post by drtech » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:32 am

thank you, thank you! Thanks for all your great work!
David Fuchs