okay to delete individual records from commlog table?

For users or potential users.
khdilger

okay to delete individual records from commlog table?

Post by khdilger » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Previous dentist on EasyDental had hundreds of different communications to the patient while trying to send out a mass mailing. Because of this each account in opendental now has dozens of commlogs that are useless.

Will I break anything by running a sql query to delete rows from the commlog table? I ran the following query on the following on a backup copy of the database.

delete from commlog where Note='retirement letter.doc'

So far it has not seemed to have broken anything, but I just want to make sure there are no table linkages that would break...

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: okay to delete individual records from commlog table?

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:08 am

You should be ok this one time, but please don't get in the habit of running such queries. Eventually, something is bound to break.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

khdilger

Post by khdilger » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:58 am

100% agreed. I was uncomfortable with the idea which is the reason for the post. However the 20 + lines of red throughout the progress notes is really annoying. I will backup the database before running the query and obviously won't mess with the database in the future.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:32 pm

I guess I should have been more relaxed about it. If it's considered part of a conversion script that was tested ahead of time, it's much more acceptable. And if it's cleanup after a conversion it's also much more acceptable.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com