Patient Pictures into system quickly

For users or potential users.
genebrabston

Patient Pictures into system quickly

Post by genebrabston » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:06 am

What is the quick seamless method for taking and importing a patient's photo into his/her data file?

thanks

gene

Rickliftig

Re: Patient Pictures into system quicklyu

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:12 am

Gene - I simply hook up my camera to the USB port and import (there is an import button) into the images module. The camera will show up under "My Computer" as an external disk drive.Couldn't be easier.

I'm thinking of picking up a wireless SD card so that the camera won't even need to be plugged in.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

enamelrod

Post by enamelrod » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:15 am

just side note to the sd card if you have to import from anyplace else it will not let you if your sd card is in the computer. i had talked to nathan about this back in version 6.??? and i was informed its a windows issue. it does it on win 7 also. SO as long as your not using the computer to import from anyother media it works.

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:08 am

Rickliftig wrote:Gene - I simply hook up my camera to the USB port and import (there is an import button) into the images module. The camera will show up under "My Computer" as an external disk drive.Couldn't be easier.

I'm thinking of picking up a wireless SD card so that the camera won't even need to be plugged in.
Rick, are you talking about a DSLR? And are you basically talking about shooting "tethered," with the DSLR directly importing to Images as you shoot, or do you have to shoot, then connect the camera, and import that way?

Rickliftig

Post by Rickliftig » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:27 am

Smilesbypayet wrote: Rickliftig wrote:Gene - I simply hook up my camera to the USB port and import (there is an import button) into the images module. The camera will show up under "My Computer" as an external disk drive.Couldn't be easier.

Rick, are you talking about a DSLR? And are you basically talking about shooting "tethered," with the DSLR directly importing to Images as you shoot, or do you have to shoot, then connect the camera, and import that way?
Chip I shoot and then connect - but, I'll bet there is a way to do it live - interesting idea.
Another Happy Open Dental User!

Rick Liftig, DMD FAGD
University of CT 1979
West Hartford, CT 06110
srick@snet.net

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:53 am

Rickliftig wrote:
Smilesbypayet wrote: Rickliftig wrote:Gene - I simply hook up my camera to the USB port and import (there is an import button) into the images module. The camera will show up under "My Computer" as an external disk drive.Couldn't be easier.

Chip I shoot and then connect - but, I'll bet there is a way to do it live - interesting idea.
I know it can be done in programs like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, Apple Aperture, etc., so if there were a way to do this with OD, that would really rock!

jclaydds

Post by jclaydds » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:47 am

Instead of using a conventional digital camera, we use a webcam that is attached to our computer at the receptionist's desk. The webcam has the capability of taking digital photos. You certainly don't get quite the quality and ability to zoom, compose the photo, etc like you would with a digital camera but it is quick, always ready and you don't have to go to the trouble of hooking up your camera each time after the photo is taken. You still have to import the photo into Open Dental but it remembers the folder so that is quick as well.

Jeff

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Smilesbypayet wrote:I know it can be done in programs like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, Apple Aperture, etc., so if there were a way to do this with OD, that would really rock!
We've been considering it for quite some time.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Smilesbypayet

Post by Smilesbypayet » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:33 am

jordansparks wrote:
Smilesbypayet wrote:I know it can be done in programs like Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, Apple Aperture, etc., so if there were a way to do this with OD, that would really rock!
We've been considering it for quite some time.
So I guess that means we need to make that a feature request? :wink:

Given how many docs are now using DSLRs, this really would be a great feature. I have no idea how difficult it would be, but extremely useful.

teethdood

Re: Patient Pictures into system quickly

Post by teethdood » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:49 pm

Someone suggested the wireless SD option, and that was what I did. I bought a wireless SD card ($45 from amazon). All pictures get wirelessly saved to the frontdesk desktop. My frontdesk girl then imports them into OD. This works for all scanned documents as well. If the frontdesk desktop looks messy, I know the frontdesk girl hasn't been importing pics/scanned docs and she would get a nice look from me :-)

It's so easy and fast that I find myself snapping lots of ortho-style pics (front closed, front slight open, front smile, sides closed, occlusal max/mand). If you ever do this though, be sure to decrease your image resolution to a bare mimimum. Otherwise your A-Z folder will get heavy fast!
Philip H. Doan, DDS
http://www.kaweahdental.com/

akperio

Post by akperio » Sun May 15, 2022 8:50 am

I'd like to bump this topic since the last post was from 2010.

How are people doing this today? If I have a WiFi-enabled dSLR or mirrorless camera, can I directly import the photos to the OpenDental photos folder in the Imaging Module? Or do I need to import them to the computer first and then transfer them to OpenDental.

Ideally, I would like to tell OD to import photos and then have it instantly save the photo I take to the patient's photo folder.

wjstarck

Post by wjstarck » Mon May 16, 2022 8:02 am

Check out Justin Shafer's IOC Snapshot.

https://iocsnapshot.com/

Pretty sure it does what you want.
Cheers,

Bill Starck, DDS
Big Idea Software, LLC
Developer, EASy(Electronic Anesthesia System) for Open Dental
817-807-1709
TX, USA

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Mon May 16, 2022 6:24 pm

This topic is 10 years old. A lot has changed. I can think of two different ways to do it, and there are probably more.
1. Use our automatic import feature.
https://www.opendental.com/manual/images.html
About one page down is a section called Import Automatically. You could set the default path to your camera, then click start, then the picture will be imported to Open Dental the moment it shows up in that folder.

2. Use a webcam. Open Dental can capture directly from a webcam and does not need to do a subsequent import. In version 22.2, which will be released in about a week, it can capture from the webcam into a specific Image module folder each time.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

agrasley

Post by agrasley » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:53 pm

I will add to this as well, that if you are using our eClipboard app, for Patient Photos, you can have the patients take their own Patient Picture when they come in for their appointment using a mobile device. They can also fill out their forms using the app as well. This automatically imports the patient picture and forms into their chart.

This does not work for other photos you might need to take, such as intra-oral photos, for those, I would use the features suggested by Jordan.
Alex Grasley
Open Dental Software