checking back ups

For users or potential users.
babysilvertooth

checking back ups

Post by babysilvertooth » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:37 pm

Question: I use my Macbook running VMWare to use Windows XP at the office. I use Open Dental while at work through the server. Since I am using a laptop, can I bring home a back up with me and restore to the laptop, then when I get back to work, have OD read from the server again?

OK: FYI, I now enough to know that I don't know enough.
I opened OD at home (which is not logged into the office server). Do I have to install the trial version again to get the My SQL on the laptop? If so, after that how do I "open' OD to be able to access the back up? when I try to open OD, it looks for the server, which it can't find, then shuts down....

Thanks

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: checking back ups

Post by jordansparks » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 am

1. Yes, but you are likely to forget that the laptop is running a backup. You are likely to start entering real information into the backup instead of to the main server.

2. Yes, you need to use the trial version installer to get MySQL on the laptop. On the laptop, go to the Choose Database window, and set it to show on startup. That will allow you to choose which server to connect to when starting up.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:30 am

Jordan, thanks.

Actually, if the back up hard drive is not connected, then I won't be able to access that database, right? So that shouldn't be an issue if I am correct in my understanding. I guess I would have to repurpose an old computer for this otherwise....

2) I just checked a back up today, and it worked as far as patients, appointments, P&L reports....but the appt views and ops names adn colors are the standard from the trial version. Is this correct? i won't get a back up of the different proc colors for appointments etc?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:08 am

1. But you "restored to the laptop". That's the database that I was concerned about you confusing with your main database. Or are you leaving that at home? If the database is truly running from an external harddrive (if you've edited the my.ini file), then disconnecting the hard drive will indeed prevent access. I guess I just don't understand your physical setup.

2. No, it's supposed to be exactly like your office database. All colors and all settings. The only exception will be that your default appt view is remembered on a per computer basis. So you might have to manually select a different appt view the very first time.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

babysilvertooth

Post by babysilvertooth » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:08 am

jordansparks wrote:1. But you "restored to the laptop". That's the database that I was concerned about you confusing with your main database. Or are you leaving that at home? If the database is truly running from an external harddrive (if you've edited the my.ini file), then disconnecting the hard drive will indeed prevent access. I guess I just don't understand your physical setup.
OK, I understand now, the back up is on my C drive....Now my problem is (like you said I would have)...I am back at the office, and trying to choose which database I want. I choose 'server' for the computer, and 'opendental' for database, but it doesn't let me hit 'ok' (the button is greyed out). What am I doing wrong?