Auto Notes

For users or potential users.
savvy

Auto Notes

Post by savvy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:59 pm

Does the Auto Note feature work? I'm getting an "Unhandled Exception" error w/ ver 5.1.27.

If so....how?

Cheers!!!

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:13 pm

WARNING!!!! DO NOT USE AUTO NOTE IN YOUR DENTAL OFFICE UNTIL VERSION 5.4 IS RELEASED THANK YOU!!!

Hey savvy!
I'm glad that someone has tried to use Auto Note!
Dr. Sparks, please correct me if I'm wrong, but you need to use the SVN version and it needs to be version 5.4 for Auto Note to work properly. Are you using a SVN version (this is a developer version-- you can't use this for your dental practice)? I'm not an expert on Open Dental so I could be wrong. I'm working on a tutorial on how to use Auto Note that should be done soon. If you have ANY questions about the Auto Note please feel free to ask me. :)

PS: do you have an option in the "Setup" menu called "Auto Note"?
Last edited by EagleWing on Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savvy

Post by savvy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Howdy Eagle....

Yes, there is an AUTO NOTES selection in SETUP.
When I select it, a window pops up that has a blank column and two options, +ADD and CLOSE. When I select +ADD, I get an error message that states,

"Unhandled exception has occured in your application. If you click CONTINUE, the application will ignor this error and attempt to continue.
if you click QUIT, the application will close immediately. OBJECT REFERERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT"

DETAILS:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at OpenDental.FormAutoNoteEdit.FormAutoNoteEdit_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
OpenDental
Assembly Version: 5.1.27.0
Win32 Version: 5.1.27.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/OpenDental.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
CodeBase
Assembly Version: 4.7.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.7.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/CodeBase.DLL
OpenDentBusiness
Assembly Version: 5.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 5.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/OpenDentBusiness.DLL
SparksToothChart
Assembly Version: 4.7.1.0
Win32 Version: 4.7.1.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/SparksToothChart.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
xImageDeviceManager
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/xImageDeviceManager.DLL
SigPlusNET
Assembly Version: 1.0.2057.23757
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/SigPlusNET.DLL
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
CDT
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/CDT.DLL
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
MySql.Data
Assembly Version: 1.0.9.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.9.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/MySql.Data.DLL
Oracle.DataAccess
Assembly Version: 10.2.0.100
Win32 Version: 10.2.0.100
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/Oracle.DataAccess.DLL
Tao.OpenGl
Assembly Version: 2.1.0.4
Win32 Version: 2.1.0.4
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/Tao.OpenGl.DLL
Tao.Platform.Windows
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.4
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.4
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Open%20Dental/Tao.Platform.Windows.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Dtails:

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:01 pm

Is this the latest SVN? I'm downloading the latest version right now to see if anything has changed since my version(~3weeks old). My current version (5.4 debugging with visual C# express 2005) doesn't seem to have a this problem. Dr. Sparks will probably have the answer as he knows a lot more about debugging then I do. :D If you have any success let me know and I'll give you a quick walk through!

savvy

Post by savvy » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:11 pm

So then I choose, CONTINUE.

A second window pops up called, AUTO NOTE EDIT.
There are three boxes, one horizontal (CHANGE THE AUTO NOTE NAM (yes, nam)), and 2 verticle (DOUBLE CLICK A CONTROL TO ADD) and (THE CONTROLS THAT WILL BE ADDED TO THE AUTO NOTE). There are 3 selection buttons, CREATE NEW CONTROL (located directly below the DOUBLE CLICK A CONTROL TO ADD column) and OK and CANCEL.

When I select CREATE NEW CONTROL, another window pops up called AUTO NOTE CONTROL SETUP. This window has 6 boxes. the first box says TYPE and has a drop down menu with COMBOBOX, TEXTBOX, MULTILINE TEXTBOX; the second says NAME; the third says LABEL; the forth says THIS TEXT WILL APPEAR RIGHT BEFORE THE CONTROL TEXT IN THE AUTO NOTE OUTPUT; the fifth says YOU CAN ADD OPTIONS FOR THE CONTROL BELOW DOUBLE CLICK TO REMOVE, with an ADD button next to it; the sixth box is below the 5th. There are two other buttons, OK and CANCEL.

I'm lost at this point.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:31 pm

I'm so glad that it worked! Could you send me your Emal so that I can send you a VERY rough draft of the Auto Note tutorial? My Email is lks_cara@yahoo.com.
I you are still confused let me know! As I said be prepared for lots of grammar, clarity, and spelling errors!

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:42 am

What are auto notes used for?
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101
jparks@paterafamilydentistry.com

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:13 am

The Auto Notes are used to generate progress notes and save A LOT of time. You start by creating controls like Text Boxes, Combo Boxes, and Multi line Text Boxes. The most powerful controls are the combo boxes. You add the options for the Combo Box(also known as a 'drop down pick list') and then add the controls to the Auto Note form. So now when you go and edit or create your progress notes you can use the Auto Note instead. In this way the assistant could fill in the Auto Note while you are working on the patient and the Auto Note output will then automaticlly fill into the progress notes!
Below is an image of the Auto Note form filled out and what the output is.

Image[/img][/quote]

savvy

Post by savvy » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:21 am

Greetings again,

I originally tried to use EasyNotesPro. It was very thorough, but tedious to set up and then apply.

Then I went back to manual entry. I begame lazy in the extent of my notes since I am a "one finger typist".

Lately, I learned about the MS Word Auto Correct feature. That is when one types a few characters and the characters will be replaced with a paragraph up to 255 characters in length. I placed a Word button in the Chart Module. I open Word, type out the abreviated characters, the full text is now replaced in the Word doc. I copy the text and paste in the notes section. Then cCancel the Word doc. It's pretty easy. The tedious part was typing all my different procedure protocols into Auto Correct. I keep aprinted Auto Correct Definitions List at the computer for easy reference.

This Auto Notes feature looks like it has great potential. It appears to be somewhat like EasyNotes, yet directly integrated. I'll keep trying .

Cheers!!!

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:56 am

Hey,
I'm glad you like it! You can make the Auto Note print out paragraph or such by putting what you want to always be generated in the 'Preface Text' in the Control Setup. Then leave the text box blank when using the Auto Note if you do not want it to print it out. My dad, who is a dentist that uses Practice Works and who I got the idea from, says that he just uses combo boxes because he doesn't like to reach over and type. Another feature that needs to be added it to allow the user to print out the progress notes on a sticky paper to be put into the patient's file. This might already exist so I'm not sure...

PS:was the tutorial easy to understand? I'm having a very hard time getting it to flow correctly.
Last edited by EagleWing on Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:57 am

If I am understanding the correctly, would it not be just as easy to use the default notes are part of the procedure code setup? That is how we use it and it saves a lot of time. The assistants and Dr. just needed to remember to fill in specific information such as tooth #, etc.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101
jparks@paterafamilydentistry.com

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:44 pm

parksjdp: It would be very difficult to use only procedure codes to get well defined progress notes. My dads assistants basically only use the mouse and always have the notes completed before the tx is done. He then reads over it and has any changes made then. He never has to write up records after work anymore. They use to use the procedure codes also but then they always had to manually type in for example the amount of anesthetic used or what the next visit would be. So using the customizable auto notes they can do it in half the time.

EagleWing

Post by EagleWing » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:45 pm

parksjdp: It would be very difficult to use only procedure codes to get well defined progress notes. My dads assistants basically only use the mouse and always have the notes completed before the tx is done. He then reads over it and has any changes made then. He never has to write up records after work anymore. They use to use the procedure codes also but then they always had to manually type in for example the amount of anesthetic used or what the next visit would be. So using the customizable auto notes they can do it in half the time.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:47 pm

Don't even try to use autonotes before version 5.4, which is not yet available. In earlier versions, the menu option was not supposed to be visible, but it looks like it did slip through accidentally.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Nate

Post by Nate » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:03 pm

Sounds like a great feature! Cant wait to give it a try. We had a similar feature in a program we used at UMKC Dental School. I believe the software was written just for the school and the best feature was the entry of the notes. Very quick and straight forward. Basically it would have pop ups for anesthetic, type of composite, bonding agent, shade, if cord was packed, type of amalgam and condensed carved, checked occlusion, flossed if interprox restoration, post op instructions given. I would suggest you pick your lab but in dental school we didnt have much of a choice. The last allowed for addtional free hand note if you wanted to type something unusual.

Basically you would click through the pop ups, when you were done you had a full note that was similiar to others but still customized.

Really cant wait to try 5.4 for that feature alone!