Scanning document default settings

For users or potential users.
nchr

Scanning document default settings

Post by nchr » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:14 am

Dear all,

I have recently updated to 11.1, and today I noticed that if I select to scan a document in the images module it does not use the default setting that were set in the HP application, and it is scanning in color making the saved file very large.

I would like to scan in black and white using as less space as possible. It is scanning in million of colors.

I the imaging settings the only thing I can find is that OD scans in grayscale and you can change the level of compression. I used to scan in B&W but now it is impossible.

I can of course change the settings manually during each scan before the document is saved, but this is a problem with the staff, since I try to keep things as quick and easy as possible to minimize mistakes.

Is there a way to force settings from open dental? I have changed the settings in HP solution center. When I use the HP software the settings are kept. Using open dental (which in turn is connected to the HP TWAIN driver) the settings are not kept.

Any advice will be welcomed.

Thanking you in advance

Nicos
Nicos Christodoulides

Jorgebon

Re: Scanning document default settings

Post by Jorgebon » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 am

That's strange, I have two HP multifunction printers/scanners and when I scan from the Images module in Open Dental a HP application scans the document. I can select color, grayscale or black and white and have several editing tools available before the image is saved in Open Dental. I have Open Dental version 12.0.9 and have not had any changes in the scanning routine.
Jorge Bonilla, DMD
Jorge Bonilla DMD
Open Dental user since May 2005

nchr

Post by nchr » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:43 am

Thanks for the reply Jorge.

Probably I was not clear with my problem.

I can also edit everything before the scan is saved. The problem is I cannot set a default universal setting in order not to have to do that every time. I want to make everything as simple as possible for the reception staff, to minimize problems.
Nicos Christodoulides

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:10 pm

I don't personally scan every day, so I can't quite remember the behavior. Are you saying that you used to be able to save some sort of default? I don't think I remember that.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

nchr

Post by nchr » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:55 am

I am not sure if it's an Open Dental issue or the way OD communicates with the HP scanning interface.

The problem is as follows.

Before updating I would select the HP Twain driver and the hp scanning interface was starting.
I could select the settings I would like to use (eg. Black and white) and these settings were kept as default so the next time this was used.

Now when the HP interface is opened I can change the settings but the next time these are not kept. They are sort of overridden by OD.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the HP software and drivers, but the same keeps happening.

Hopefully I am a bit cleared on the issue.

Thanks again
Nicos Christodoulides

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:29 pm

One of our programmers thinks that if you change the settings by going through the Windows Control Panel, that the settings will stick instead of being forgotten. Let us know if that works for you.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

nchr

Post by nchr » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:28 am

I went to the scanners and cameras option in the control panel, but there seems to be a problem with the hp software. Every time I try to create a default profile it stops working. I have already reinstalled the drivers, but there seems to be a conflict somewhere.

Thanks for the reply, If I finally figure it out I will let you know. It must be a problem from my end.
Nicos Christodoulides

nchr

Post by nchr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:48 am

I finally managed to create a default profile from control panel>scanners and cameras, by connecting the HP officejet via USB. I cannot figure out why it is not working via ethernet.

The problem still persists. Even with a default scanning profile set in the Windows control panel, when I try to scan from OD it scans in millions of colors. At the moment I have shown the staff how to change the settings every time they scan something.

I still cannot figure out if it is OD related or something else.

Thanks for the attention.
Nicos Christodoulides

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:17 am

The first thing I should have suggested was to make sure the scanner was connected by USB and not ethernet. That's a very common source of problems for scanners and printers.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

nchr

Post by nchr » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:49 pm

That's what I also thought Jordan. The problem is still there even with the USB connection. I am not able to figure it out. If I have a revelation I will let you guys know :D
Nicos Christodoulides