Prescription Printing Solution

For users or potential users.
bcpayne

Prescription Printing Solution

Post by bcpayne » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:16 pm

I write a lot of prescriptions so I really wanted a seamless, but low cost solution for prescription printing. I don't know if it can get any better than this:

I bought a brother 2270DW printer for about $90, it has wired and wireless networking for that price! This will be my dedicated prescription printer.

Then I bought some secure paper that meets the CMS and Colorado prescription writing guidelines. CO requires tamperproof rx paper for uncontrolled meds as well as controlled. here is the link for the paper: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002U24DNQ/ref ... ce_3p_dp_1 it is formsandchecks item #04541 500 pages for $22
I thought I would have to print one Rx per page to avoid messing with replacing the paper in the machine to get a print on the opposite corner, which sounds like a waste of precious time.

I noticed that the security notice is in 4 places on the back, so I pulled out the paper cutter and started splitting the pages into 4ths. I set the paper tray to nearly the smallest paper size, and the quarter pages fit, with a little bit of extra room. But I put the tray back in to try it out.
Here is the important part: You must go to the control panel printer properties and change the paper tray to A6 paper and to always use the Tray. Then go to the printer preferences and change the paper to A6, and i lower the dpi to 300 and put in toner save mode, because obviously I am, let's say, thrifty :D
If you set these aspects in the control panel it should carry over and stay a semi-permanent setting... hopefully.
I then set the printer settings for my prescriptions to that printer in opendental. I printed an Rx, and it came out beautifully.

printer less than $100, 4 Rx per cut up page, so 2000 Secure Rxs for $22

Hope someone else finds this as valuable as I did.

murmsk

Re: Prescription Printing Solution

Post by murmsk » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:21 am

We did the same thing except we use the document feeder on our network laser printer. We setup a shared printer on one of the workstations with properties set to the proper paper size and bin.

steve
steve