Encryption/Security of OD

For users or potential users.
Nate

Encryption/Security of OD

Post by Nate » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:54 am

I have been using OD for over 6yrs now but was unsure of its ability to Encrypt or protect the data. For example if I back up my data to a portable hard drive or other source can it easily be read if that drive was stolen? Also what protection for the data that has been written in the record. If progress notes are changed at a later date how is it documented and can the original entry be seen? Anyone with information please let me know, I did not see a topic specifically about these 2 issues or information in the user manual. Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

Hersheydmd

Re: Encryption/Security of OD

Post by Hersheydmd » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Data is not encrypted. You should encrypt your portable hard drive.
Progress notes are protected in that nothing is ever truly deleted. All changes are saved. Even if you change one word in a note both the original and the new version are saved. To see all previous versions of a note go to "Show" "Audit" in the chart.
Robert M Hersh DMD, FAGD
Univ. of Penn 1982
Brooklyn, NY 11234
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Robert-M ... 1471599429

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:13 pm

I recommend the Apricorn Aegis Padlock 3.0. It has a physical keypad on the hard drive where you have to enter in your code before it will work. If you enter the wrong code, it will lock you out. If you enter the wrong code repeatedly, it will erase the hard drive. You can't go wrong. They even have a thumb drive version. It also has a keypad, making it bulkier than the usual thumb drive.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Justin Shafer

Post by Justin Shafer » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:13 pm

That is awesome!