DFS Share with Replication for A-Z folder supported?

For users or potential users.
Smilepal

DFS Share with Replication for A-Z folder supported?

Post by Smilepal » Wed May 09, 2012 8:27 am

I want to store the A-Z folder on a Windows 2008 R2 Domain-based DFS Namespace with Replication. Is it safe to do this and what kind of NTFS and Sharing permissions do I need to set on that share in order to ensure everything works?
This is going to be a Windows 2008 R2 -based domain with Windows 7 workstations and I do not intend to give front desk users and assistants elevated rights or priviledges, because I want to create a hospital-compatible installation and maintenance routine for later installations.
What kind of scanners do you guys have experience with and recommend? From talking to people, most of the ones using Axium at the universities use a fast scanner at the front to scan in bio-data that the patients fill out before being admitted for the first time. I'm thinking of going with an Epson WorkForce Pro GT-S50 Document Scanner. http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/ ... B11B194011
This one seems solid for large workloads, but then again I want to hear what others have to say.
Thanks!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: DFS Share with Replication for A-Z folder supported?

Post by jordansparks » Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 pm

If you want to create a hospital-compatible environment, then I think you might need to live without the AtoZ folder entirely. Store the images in the database. Users will not be able to upgrade versions in the usual manner because that would require elevated permissions, so you'll need to push out the msi to each workstation. Some features won't work. I don't remember for sure, but email attachments might be such a feature. If you do have an AtoZ folder, we usually recommend sharing it with everyone with no restrictions, although I'm sure you could instead share it with specific users and still have it work.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Smilepal

Post by Smilepal » Thu May 10, 2012 8:48 am

What do I lose by storing the images directly in the database? I assume that since we are going to have a separate imaging solution there will not be much stored there, other than the bio-data and some insurance forms and copies of identification cards. What kind of performance hits can we expect from going that route?
I'm still interested in knowing if the domain-based DFS folder with replication enabled will work or if there are possible issues to be considered?
Can somebody provide me with a scanner recommendation. I saw the page about scanners and such, but I'm wondering if anybody can recommend a specific model that they are using in their practice and feel that it works like a charm. My concern is with the double-sided vs. single-sided sheet scanning. Do we really need that and is there anything specific that needs to be considered?
Thanks!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Thu May 10, 2012 7:26 pm

No performance hit, really. Just make sure you have a version update solution in place. I don't have any input on your other questions.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com