Auto-composites

For users or potential users.
alexei

Auto-composites

Post by alexei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:35 pm

Hi everybody-- I'm trying out opendental.

The auto-composite function is good, but there's one change I think should be made:

"D2335, Resin-based composite - four or more surfaces or involving incisal angle"

As I understand it, when you have a filling with both the incisal angle and another angle, then the code is always the 4+ code, even though there are only two angles. It would be nice if the auto-coder knew this.

Thanks,

Alexei

alexei

Post by alexei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:55 pm

Another thing...

I wish there were an 'unknown' entry in the 'Position' field, just like there is in the 'Gender' field. I mean, if we don't even know their gender then how are we to know whether they're married or not? I suppose the thing to do is to enter everyone as single unless you know otherwise, but that's not ideal.

Anyway, these are minor quibbles. Keep up the good work!

alexei

Post by alexei » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:49 pm

The text import could use two features:

1-- recognizing SSNs with dashes (I had to write an Excel macro to remove the dashes I had)

2-- A few more fields (ins. plans would be good. Wireless phone numbers! Email.)

Hope I don't annoy with all these notes...

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:21 pm

Text import... Do you mean the XML import or the tab delimited import?
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

alexei

Post by alexei » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:24 am

jordansparks wrote:Text import... Do you mean the XML import or the tab delimited import?
I meant the tab delimited import.

I must confess that I'm a little confused by the two different imports, each with its own set of capabilities. I think perhaps that the XML is for interfacing with other medical programs, and is not really intended for mass-imports? I wasn't using the XML one because it balks at importing patients with no birthdates, but it's just occurred to me that I can use it to import the insurance plans by using the tab-delimited import first, and then using the XML on top of that, skipping the people without birthdates. This way I'll pick up email addresses too!

Seems like it might be tricky. It only does one patient at a time. Maybe with some sort of macro... hm.

I know you offer a conversion service, but at this point I'm just hacking together something, so as to do a dry run before totally committing.

FYI I'm converting from Easydental which I'm thoroughly sick of, not least because the database has become corrupted, but also because of a number of design flaws and bugs. The final straw was reading their description of the new version, two years in the making, which apparently has about ten changes, mostly minor, and does not seem to address any of my problems. I like what I'm seeing of your program so far, and it looks like it's only going to get better.♦