Scanners With Open Dental

For users or potential users.
Mitch

Scanners With Open Dental

Post by Mitch » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:06 am

I am looking to start scanning X RAYS and Documents into my computer
so that I can send them as attachments to insurance claims.
I need a FAST SCANNER for this purpose. I tried Microtec i 800 but way too slow. Any recommendations out there? Also, can one scan directly to Open Dental or does one need to create a file somewhere in the computer to scan to?

Thanks

Yorek

Post by Yorek » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:42 pm

If your scanning regular pa Xrays you may need a special adapter. I've been digital for 9-10yrs so I don't have much experience.

However for regular documents we like the Brother MFC 3240c.
Don't know if they make it anymore but any similar one should be ok.
It's inexpensive, sheet fed and scans pretty fast for routine black and white copies.

We scan directly to OD. No special file needed unless you really have to scan more than 1 page at a time.
Just open up 'Images' > select your scanner, and scan.. then select which Category-Folder you want to store it in and label it if you want to in Description.

Our scans in OD aren't great at the default black and white settings but readable. (not sure if it's our scanner).
You can change the settings for better resolution, but the files are bigger and scans are slower. Also, you'd have to do this for each patient as the program goes back to the defaults with each new scan.

We're folderless and heading towrds paperless and love OD, but it could use a bit of improvemnt in the scan area.... sorry Jordan.
(Our scanner makes very fast and accurate scans on it's own when making compressed TIFF's for My Documents.)

The downside is that these Multi function scanners use ink like a race car uses gas.. eventhough we don't use ours for printing we still need to change cartridges about every 3-4months... we use a small HP laser's for all our printing, faster and much more economical.

Hope this helps.

DonDDS

Post by DonDDS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:17 pm

Yorek, scanning in Gray Scale instead of B&W will make it look better.
LumaDent, Inc | CEO & Founder
OD since 2006, ex-Mogo, ex-Dentrix