Prosthesis replacement field for claims

For users or potential users.
ospdental

Prosthesis replacement field for claims

Post by ospdental » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:45 am

Is there a way to make prosthesis and crown codes default to Initial for the Prosthesis replacement field? It is extra time and steps for us to reopen each procedure and select Initial whenever we make a claim.

Arna

Re: Prosthesis replacement field for claims

Post by Arna » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:11 am

No and I doubt we ever will. That information needs to be added and Open Dental cannot intelligently know whether a crown is initial or replacement. You'll need to select it each time.
Entropy isn't what it used to be...

Arna Meyer

ospdental

Post by ospdental » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:28 am

I realize OpenDental cannot intelligently know whether a crown is initial or replacement, but since our choice is almost always Initial, it would make sense to have it default to that and we could edit it if it was not.

JimZ

Post by JimZ » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:52 am

ospdental wrote:Is there a way to make prosthesis and crown codes default to Initial for the Prosthesis replacement field? It is extra time and steps for us to reopen each procedure and select Initial whenever we make a claim.
Why would you want your practice management software to default to a condition that if left undetected would cause the practice to submit a fraudulent claim? I know I'm taking this to an extreme, but this would open a can of worms that is not needed.

Whoever treatment plans the crown or prosthesis has an opportunity to enter Initial, or Replacement at that time. When the patient is checked out and treatment notes are entered, there is a second opportunity to enter the correct condition. The final safeguard is the front desk, who needs to verify correct conditions before making the claim.

Sorry, but I think it's working fine as it is.

Jim