standard permissions for users?

For users or potential users.
vonore

standard permissions for users?

Post by vonore » Mon May 10, 2021 6:57 am

I have had some staff change over in the past year and I am trying to tighten up my potential embezzlement risks. I have some very intelligent team members who are new to me. While I think they are very honest, I do think keeping the boundaries in place will help keep them honest.

Does anyone have suggested settings for security settings for users? Or do you know where I can go to get this?

Eric Fugate

jmazzie

Re: standard permissions for users?

Post by jmazzie » Mon May 10, 2021 11:21 am

We followed the manual to lock down certain user groups to only access certain features I highly recommend it
https://www.opendental.com/manual/permissions.html

We we ended up doing is setting up 12 User groups
Admins, Bookkeepers, Dental Assistants, Front Desk, IT, HR, Doctors, Hygienist, etc

Very few users fall into the admin group which i have set for setup menu and larger settings like that. Front Desk can look at most modules but cannot make many changes, Dental Assistants the same with more changes allowed and works up in that progression. Since users can overlap groups that helps when they cross train 2 roles and need access to both fields so building out those initial groups is extremely helpful

Keep in mind this is just what our practice uses to maintain about 130ish users
Jeff

vonore

Post by vonore » Tue May 11, 2021 4:55 am

Thank you for the response. I do think I would benefit from specifics. I have read the permissions section of the manual but I do not know what makes sense.

For instance - Security Lock Dates -- https://www.opendental.com/manual/secur ... dates.html -- It would seem that most offices have a set way that this works. I don't want to re-invent the wheel so to speak. I do realize this can have variations, but every time I set this I have team members coming to me telling me they can't do what they need to do and I am having to change them to be essentially worthless.

Anyway, I will keep researching. Thank you.

Eric

jcbdmd

Post by jcbdmd » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:06 am

I think it would be cool for Open Dental to setup an online Wiki that has the exact UI matching the one that we are able setup for our own in-office Wiki in Open Dental.

That way we could populate an Open Dental wiki with cool tips like how permissions are setup, and crowd source the discussion on it. (And practice how it would work for our own in-office Wikis)