Calendar has changed

For users or potential users.
jcbdmd

Calendar has changed

Post by jcbdmd » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:05 am

You used to be able to click on the month/year in the calendar widget and go all the way out to pick previous years, now if you click there nothing happens.

This functionality seems to have been lost somewhere in the 21.2.XX series.

Currently using 21.2.26 and it still is happening.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Calendar has changed

Post by jordansparks » Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:28 pm

I made the new calendar because the Microsoft one had some serious flaws:
1. I couldn't easily tell the difference between the selected date and today. Now they look different.
2. When you changed months, it inexplicably changed the selected date. I considered this flaw to be fatal.
3. Scaling with zoom and dpi was pretty bad.
I had to make some time/benefit decisions about where to stop. I decided not to immediately support changing the year because you can go backward one month at a time to get there. Also, if you are interested in an old appointment for a certain patient, you can get to that date by following the appointment. I'm curious why you would want to go back multiple years unrelated to a patient.
Another feature was also not immediately supported: showing the whole week selected when in week mode. But I would consider showing Sunday before Monday to be a higher priority than that. There will always be more changes coming, but I felt like the current state was a reasonable balance. This new calendar was only used in that one spot. All the other calendars are still MS calendars so that you can still change the years.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

jcbdmd

Post by jcbdmd » Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:58 am

A lot of us schedule "visually" with color codes and the operatories exactly as the patient was seated.

For me, sometimes I cannot remember the sequence of things and will jump back a year and a half and look "Around X time" what were we doing, "is this why it was harder to sequence this treatment?" is one way we used that functionality. But, UI improvements are crucial, so keep that feature in mind as something to add back.

Another way I used it was regrettably an indicator of how behind we can let things get in our offices. I take A LOT of intraoral photos with a Nikon SLR, this means that I have THOUSANDS of DSC_xxx.jpg files in a big sorting folder with the only distinguishing factor being the creation date of the file. I have to admit I am in some cases over 2 years behind filing some of those image with the patient they belong to (I can always grab it when I need it right :)). The year jump in some cases has saved me 10s, 20s, 30s of months clicks to go back to that date. I know I can type, but we try and keep hads off the keyboard as much as possible in the ops since they are a pain to clean and barriers suck.

JMO

P.S. I may create another thread about this, or maybe not if you tell me it's in the works, but I still am seeing 0.00 subtotals in the TX Plan view. I THINK that when printed the subtotals are there, but I will have to check Monday.

Using 21.2.26.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:34 am

Interesting. Well, we do generally have a rule that we should not lose any features when adding new features because it generates phone calls to support, and therefore costs us money. I was just hoping nobody would care. Your photo organization system is not terrible. Whatever works.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com