Imaging Improvements

For users or potential users.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Imaging Improvements

Post by jordansparks » Sat Nov 06, 2021 6:24 pm

https://www.opendental.com/site/imaging ... ments.html
Rotations are being enhanced. Lots of crazy math...
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

dqadri

Re: Imaging Improvements

Post by dqadri » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:22 am

Isn't it all about matrices??
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067

dqadri

Post by dqadri » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:27 am

Also something I was thinking about discussing, does it make sense to keep the patient folder as a flat folder? Wouldn't it make more sense to have subdirectories for different image types or documents? At some point you might start hitting file limits based on the underlying file system (hopefully no one is running Open Dental or Mysql on a FAT32 drive).

I remember when Vixwin used one flat folder for every single patient's x-rays and it started having serious speed issues. The newer bridges helped significantly with that issue.
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:28 pm

It's some matrices, some geometry, and lots of head scratching. We used to crop, then rotate/flip. Now, we have to rotate/flip before we crop. So that gives a totally different result. That's fine, but what do we do about all the existing crop-rotates? They must all be converted. We need eight conversions, which are various combinations of 90 degree rotations and flipping. And we can't use matrices for the conversions. Ugh.

I'm not aware of any possible issue with the current A-Z scheme where we store each patient in a separate folder. I don't think there is a folder size limit. But I can see how having a million files in a single folder could potentially slow things down, especially in older versions of Windows. I can't really think of an improvement there. I think all the areas that need enhancement are squarely in the UI.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

dqadri

Post by dqadri » Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:50 pm

jordansparks wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:28 pm
It's some matrices, some geometry, and lots of head scratching. We used to crop, then rotate/flip. Now, we have to rotate/flip before we crop. So that gives a totally different result. That's fine, but what do we do about all the existing crop-rotates? They must all be converted. We need eight conversions, which are various combinations of 90 degree rotations and flipping. And we can't use matrices for the conversions. Ugh.
You could look at the open source code from Gimp and the ImageMagick libraries for ideas, they have been doing this for many decades now. As for modification of images, are you recording the changes to the original image, or just modifying the target image in place, thereby losing the original image?

Also, I'm not sure why you can't use matrices for the combination of 90 degree rotation and flipping. That's what matrix multiplication was all about.
--
Danish Qadri, DMD

Lake Family Dentistry
296 Lake Ave
Colonia, NJ 07067

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:34 pm

In Open Dental, we never alter the original image. We apply crop, rotation, contrast, etc. as a programmatic "filter". So the original images will not be changed. With this version, a conversion needs to be applied to the database in order for the old filter strategy to be converted to the new more-powerful filter strategy. Since we're not actually changing the image, matrices don't make sense. It's less than 100 lines of code to do the conversion, but it's definitely not the sort of thing you can do without some intense concentration and lots of sketches.
Jordan Sparks, DMD