Procedure Button in Chart Module for 3 Unit Bridge

For users or potential users.
SriramChellappan

Procedure Button in Chart Module for 3 Unit Bridge

Post by SriramChellappan » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:48 pm

I am trying to setup a procedure button for Bridge. Example I am treatment planning on 10, 11 & 12, tooth #11 is missing. This procedure button will post pontic codes for tooth #11 and retainer codes for tooth #10 and #12. for the retainers tooth there will be two codes one for Crown and another one for Build up. Anyone has done this before. This appears to be a basic and very common occurrence, however I am with OD escalation team for the last hour unable to find a straight solution.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Procedure Button in Chart Module for 3 Unit Bridge

Post by jordansparks » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:41 pm

There should already be a button for bridge. The basic idea is that you set up the button to have the AutoCode for bridge. That assumes that the autocode is set up properly. So then, you go check out the autocode that you used. It should have two procedures in it: one for pontic and another for retainer.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

Dr KN

Post by Dr KN » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:02 am

Yeah I know what you mean,

the problem is if you plan to EXT a tooth and then make a bridge the software gets confused and doesn't know where to put a pontic.

I've made autocodes for retainer crowns(understand molar vs PM vs Anterior retainer crown), and autocodes for pontics. I can plug it in pretty quickly that way.

I believe I had an "autobridge" button but it was just for charting EXISTING bridges

sorry I used to run an office that used open dental then moved to a different office that's dentrix based, and planning to move back to OD pretty soon with a new office. I think that's how I set it up but it was a year ago

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:55 am

Can you please tell me how to setup auto code for the following

1. D6245 - for Pontic
2. D6740 - for Retainer
3. D2950 - for Buildup

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:58 am

Your autocodes really should already be set up. You can reset them to defaults using Procedure Code Tools. The main reason we allow editing of autocodes is for foreign users who use different coding systems. Keeping that in mind, there's one autocode for pontic vs. retainer. It would have nothing to do with a buildup.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:42 am

My objective is highlight a series of adjacent teeth and click a procedure button and see the following codes posted.

1. D6245 - for Pontic
2. D6740 - for Retainer
3. D2950 - for Buildup

This objective appears to be a very common one. However with the current restrictions in auto codes I can have only #1 and #2 posted and I need to click another procedure button to get #3 posted.

I am unable to understand the restrictions (even with the help of clinical escalated team) in auto codes when I try to enter all three in one auto code.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:12 am

#3 doesn't belong in the autocode. An autocode is for a set of mutually exclusive criteria. A tooth can be a pontic OR a retainer, and there's one autocode to make that decision. It looks like BU would need to be entered as a separate step. I think what's going on here, and why I didn't catch on sooner to what you were asking, is that I was taught that a BU is never necessary as part of a crown prep, but is to be used exclusively to fill pulp chamber after a RCT. So, I always TP a RCT with a BU or P&C, and that's a completely independent step from TPing the bridge. If I routinely TPd a BU with every retainer, then the software would have been written to handle that scenario. But since I philosophically disagree with doing a BU on a tooth that has not had a RCT, then that scenario simply never occurred to me. I want the crown to grip 3% vertical tooth structure, not some combination of composite and tooth. That's weak. I would rather make that wall a little bit more vertical somehow, and the crown would just be a little thicker in that spot. If it's partly gripping a BU, then that BU is amalgam which is anchored in the pulp chamber.

Here's how to do what you want: Highlight the retainers and click the BU button. Then, click the pontic so that all three are highlighted. Finally, click the bridge button.
Jordan Sparks, DMD

SriramChellappan

Post by SriramChellappan » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:45 am

Thanks Dr. that explains the way auto code is designed. Can the software recognize the pontic and post no BU on a missing tooth? So If I highlight a series of teeth and click for BU / crown / filling the software recognize the missing teeth and post only the BU / Crown / filling codes on existing teeth?

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:07 pm

Our autocodes do not support one of the conditions resulting in no code. Each condition has to have a code. So your scenario is just a little too complicated for the autocode logic at this point. But as I went through the clicks, you're really only looking at 2 additional clicks.
Jordan Sparks, DMD