Intraoral scanner

For users or potential users.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Intraoral scanner

Post by jordansparks » Wed May 04, 2022 10:05 am

Would anyone be able to send us a few 3D scans from an intraoral scanner so that we could work on showing them inside of Open Dental? Could be any format, like Medit .obj file or 3Shape .dcm file. And, of course, we'll need an .stl file, too. If it's an .obj file, I'm assuming the textures (photos) are in the same file, but they might not be. The units are spendy, so I'm not sure how much real demand is out there right now, but it's clearly the future. I'd like to see Open Dental not just support a viewer, but also other workflow software like editor and file format converter. The eventual goal is to have the scan show where the 3D tooth chart shows, and to show things like planned restorations as an overlay on top of that. And it should be all fully interactive, with rotate, slice, etc. Anyway, step one is showing existing files, so we need some sample files.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

joergzastrau

Re: Intraoral scanner

Post by joergzastrau » Thu May 12, 2022 8:44 am

Hi,

we could provide my scans to you next week (STL if you would like). We see it as essential to store 3D scans in OD as traditional model equivalents (and we do) for traditional orthodontic treatment reference (uncolored for braces) as required (no more impressions). The colored versions e.g. for clear aligner treatment appear to be supported only by a proprietary file format (e.g. 3Shape) for further processing - thus the dentist/orthodontist has limited access to the data processed by external companies.

Joerg

jmazzie

Post by jmazzie » Thu May 12, 2022 8:52 am

I can provide some stl from itero if you need some of those
Jeff

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Sat May 14, 2022 8:26 am

Yeah, I'll take one sample of each format. jordan{at}opendental{dot}com
Jordan Sparks, DMD