Eaglesoft now free?

For users or potential users.
cheroxy

Eaglesoft now free?

Post by cheroxy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:50 am

So, as a startup I have to consider that ES is free, at least the front desk portion. You get the rest free if you buy xray sensors, which I am planning on doing, so it will all be free.

With that in mind, what is to keep me from doing ES now and still go w/ OD?
I have only used ES a little and messed around with the free trial of OD so I don't know either well enough to decide.

Nate

Re: Eaglesoft now free?

Post by Nate » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:59 am

Hard to believe they would offer it free. I would suspect it is an introductory offer of some sort as they would go out of business to offer it free they have far higher expense then OD. It may be like the new Iphone... it is 1/2 the price of the original but you will pay it back plus more in the more you pay on your monthly contract. Sounds like a bait an hook to me.

Either way you should be fine as they are both great software. Just dont get fooled into thinking one thing and then have to pay for it later in another way.

Nate

Post by Nate » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:15 am

So the Patterson rep just made a stop at our office minutes after my last post. She gave me a flyer with info and sure enough they "want everyone to have the software they need to run their business for free". Wow maybe they have some common ideas with OD... probably not. All they require is a 12month support commitment, wonder how much? Well Im not interested in switching regardless. I figure if your happy, then why change. FYI "offer may be withdrawn at any time without notice".

cheroxy

Post by cheroxy » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:40 am

I wouldn't switch either, not worth the hassle, but when you're not already tied into one...which way would you go?

parksjdp

Post by parksjdp » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:41 am

No requirement to buy sundries from them exclusively? I guess that is would be a good marketing plan to give it away just to lock up the sensors portion of the market.
JD Parks
Pratice Manager
Patera Family Dentistry
712-364-3101
jparks@paterafamilydentistry.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:46 am

Eaglesoft isn't as bad as some. They're not intensely proprietary, just moderately. And they do listen to their customers unlike some of the others. They are very likely offering it free for the same reason we do. It's better to get customers on monthly support than to worry too much about the initial cost. But our entire software is included, not just the front desk portion. Make sure that you get sensors that don't lock you in to one software. In other words, make sure that Apteryx will support whatever sensor you get. I would even recommend not using the imaging software offered by ES, but going with something that gives you more flexibility in the future instead. There is no guarantee that ES won't change their corporate philosophy. It happens all the time. For example, Practice Works used to be a very powerful and responsive company. Until they got bought out. Now they are quite the opposite, closed and proprietary with frustrated users. It's bad enough if your patient data is locked up in the practice management software. But it's even worse if all the images are also locked up.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

caringdentists

Post by caringdentists » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 am

I spoke to Patterson sales.
The basic package is free but some modules are extra. (Perio charting is extra?)
Support and upgrades >100/month. As the old saying goes.... "..if it sounds too good to be true....ya da ya da..."