Connecting to the OD server over VPN - database not present

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
zt22

Connecting to the OD server over VPN - database not present

Post by zt22 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:59 pm

Hi,

I have a vpn connection using Open VPN set up with a computer on the LAN that has the OD server. I am able to ping by address the VPN server (by both the VPN address and the LAN address) and the OD server (by LAN address). When I try to run Open Dental to connect to the OD server address, I am getting the "database not present" message.

The way I understand it is that you can set up open VPN so that it either uses routing or bridged ethernet. I am using routing, but I have not yet set up a WINS server on the remote LAN so I can access LAN computers by name. So I have put in the LAN address of the OD server in the host textbox for the "database connection" window. (This is the same address that I am able to ping)

Any ideas as to why I am not able to connect to the OD server. Could it have to do with the fact that I have not set up the VPN as bridged, so I do not have access to file sharing on the LAN? Or is it an issue with the MySQL queries not going through? I imagine file sharing might cause a problem with accessing the A to Z images folder, but would it affect connecting to the database?

I have no problem connecting from workstations within the local LAN, so I don't think it's a firewall or sql authentication issue.
Any help is appreciated!

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Connecting to the OD server over VPN - database not present

Post by jordansparks » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:09 pm

File sharing is absolutely not the issue for that error message. Is it a Windows server? Have you tested using the ip address to connect from another computer in the LAN? Sounds like you are on the right track, just need to keep plugging away at it.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

mowgli

Post by mowgli » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:20 am

Sounds more likely that TCP/IP port 3306, which is used by MySQL, is blocked. This can be tested with a telnet command to the host IP address on that port (e.g., "telnet 192.132.67.103 3306"). If you get gobbledegook back, it's connecting, but if "connection failed," it's blocked. A typical router would block ports unless they're explicitly opened, so since bridging works at a lower level (data link) of networking, maybe that would work better. Another factor is whether "root" user is allowed to connect to MySQL from any host; restrictions may be set up, especially in Linux implementations of MySQL. If Open Dental is running somewhere, the query "select * from mysql.user" should show this; "%" is a wild card for any host. Any other running firewall could also potentially block the port.

zt22

Post by zt22 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:37 am

Well, I got it fixed. Thanks for the help.

The server is a Windows, and I was able to connect by IP address. Turns out the file sharing works just fine without the WINS server, I just have to browse the shared folders by LAN IP address instead of it showing up automatically in the 'workgroup computers' window.

And the mysql port wasn't blocked, it was the user permissions in mysql. I did a grant privileges and it worked like a charm ... well, it's extremely slow, but I figured that would be the case. So, I guess the VPN won't work for me as a solution for the second office and I should probably do some sort of asynchronous replication of the database for now. Ideally, I want to set up a web service if I can figure out where to start :roll:

I knew I had to do grant privileges eventually, but I figured if that was the problem I would get an error message saying I am not allowed to connect. (at least that what was happening on the LAN) ... goes to show that you should never ever assume anything when it comes to networks!