Setting up FD Webcam with AmCap for Pt photos

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
drfredc

Setting up FD Webcam with AmCap for Pt photos

Post by drfredc » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:33 pm

For those who might want to set up a webcam at the FD to get pictures into OD, here's what I did...

Connect the webcam and make sure it's driver works. Usually, Windows finds and installs a driver, or install from a disk or download.
-----------
Am Cap is a small program that allows you to snap a pt picture. Google AmCap if you need to download a copy.

Am Cap Usage... Install AmCap Licensed version to "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMCap\AMCap.exe".

The webcam may or may not come with AmCap. If it does, the AmCap might be licensed or not. As I recall, the licensed one has some features that make it easier to use. Here's the setup I use for Am Cap version 9.2 licensed version. I think it cost something like $25?

Devices -- webcam
Options -- preview clicked
Capture/Setup
Video Capture to unallocated files -- select a file somewhere.
It's really not used unless you're capturing video. But the program seems to need it.
Still Capture -- select a folder or desktop to place the captured still image.
--- Use datestamped file names
--- jpg file format
Options -- VRM7 windowless. Not sure what this does other than default doesn't work.

To capture a picture, you just hit <enter> and the jpg ends up on the folder you selected above. Then you copy and paste it where you need it to go. There's also the option to have the picture end up in the clipboard. I don't use it -- too easy for staff to lose the picture without saving it.

Make sure everything works with the web cam before going to add it to Open Dental. You have to select the webcam driver Am Cap is supposed to use.

=============
You might have to be in an OD admin account to set it up.

In Open Dental/Setup/Program Links/ Enter Add,
* Description -- Give a name to the program or what you want to call it.
* Path of file to open (with quotes) -- "C:\Program Files (x86)\AMCap\AMCap.exe"
* Text of button -- Patient Photo

* Open to webcam, Hit return to copy to clip board. Select Patient Photos in Images of OD, Paste the photo there.
* OD also has a crop utility that helps you size the picture.
==========