Long Page Load Using Remote Database

For complex topics that regular users would not be interested in. For power users and database administrators.
ajhalls

Long Page Load Using Remote Database

Post by ajhalls » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:53 am

A customer asked if I would host their database on one of my servers in the data center, I figured to give it a try. Here is what I did:

In Mysql:

Code: Select all

create database someuser_od;
create user 'someuser'@'%' identified by 'SomeSuperSecurePassword';
grant all on someuser_od\%.* to 'someuser'@'%';   # allows it to create backup databases
Bash:

mysql someuser_od <backup.sql 

mysqld.cnf file:

sql_mode                = NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER
The calendar takes about 6 seconds to load on his computer. He has a 50-70ms ping time from Ohio to the server in Utah. On my computer (also in Utah) I can navigate pretty well, but I have 1-4 millisecond ping times.

I noticed that there are 24 queries that are run when navigating from page to page, which could account for up to almost 2 seconds of lag at 70ms each, but what about the rest? Is the ping time the only issue here, or is there more for me to look at?

I wouldn't mind trying the middle tier, but is it possible to host multiple offices using a single server on middle tier? It wouldn't be economical if each had to have it's own Windows license and deal with the overhead of multiple OS installations.
Last edited by ajhalls on Thu May 27, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Alan Halls DMD
alan@reminderdental.com
ReminderDental.com - A new way to save

jordansparks
Site Admin

Re: Long Page Load Using Remote Database

Post by jordansparks » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:50 pm

You aren't worried about exposing a MySQL database port to the world? That's too scary for me. That's why we have not optimized for that scenario.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com