Image Store handling of binary files

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
jordansparks
Site Admin

Image Store handling of binary files

Post by jordansparks » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:52 am

Frederik,

I see you made a valiant attempt to support importing pdf using the image store. You should know that NewPatientForm.com has gone out of business, so it's safe to dismantle all the kludgy workarounds that we currently have in place. I will be removing them as I run across them.

But even more important is that I think that ImageStore should be enhanced in such a way to support all "files" which are not images (pdf, doc, txt, etc). Even if user is later using a DatabaseStore, the code should be able to store the file in the database. When the user double clicks on it in the Images module, the binary data should be streamed to a temporary file. The temporary filename should be generated by the operating system and the file should be located in the temporary files folder on the computer. Then, the file should be launched using the appropriate program.

I'm sure you had already planned something along these lines, but we need to move quickly. 5.1 is unacceptable in that it currently lacks this support. A major feature of Open Dental is broken. This is a feature that many offices depend on. I would be more than happy to implement it myself for the FileStore, and will do so starting about a day from now if I don't hear back. But it's your baby, so I thought I'd see if you want to do it first.
Last edited by jordansparks on Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:53 pm

Never mind. I totally spaced it. It works fine.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com

fcarlier

Post by fcarlier » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:54 am

I see you fixed this, that's great. Although it's called "IImageStore", it should be able to store any kind of file.

So, now we have a first level of isolation -- the FileStore is abstracted away, and should be easily replaced by some kind of DatabaseStore. I'm having a busy weeks at work, so this may take some time.
Frederik Carlier