Ageing/ClaimProc Bug w/work around

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
dwkrueger

Ageing/ClaimProc Bug w/work around

Post by dwkrueger » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:43 pm

I noticed that my aging at the top of the account module was showing a credit balance when clearly the account was paid in full and no money was due the patient.

I tracked the problem down to a preauthorization that marked as received and had a write off component to it. The aging was using the write off component for the preauthorization.

Code source:

File: ClaimProcs.cs
ClaimProc.ComputeBal(ClaimProc[] List)

This method is supposed to check the List item's ClaimProcStatus for Preauth then skip over the rest. I believe the problem lies in that the status for Recieved and Preauth are mutually exclusive so you get one or the other. So preauth claims lose their preauth status when marked recieved. So then the claim write off is used in the aging amounts.

Work around: Delete preauthorizations before issuing a refund. Don't put write off amounts in the preauthorizations.

2nd minor bug. When you hit the preauth button deleted insurance plans are available for selection. I think this should be elimintated.

jordansparks
Site Admin

Post by jordansparks » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:23 pm

Putting a writeoff on a preauth is something we didn't anticipate a user attempting to do. You are correct. I suspect that the actual solution is going to be for us to immediately eliminate any existing writeoffs on preauths, and then never allow them again. I think the reason we didn't anticipate it is because it doesn't make sense to put writeoffs on preauths.

Thank you for doing such a nice job tracking this bug down.
Jordan Sparks, DMD
http://www.opendental.com