Calculate a/r as of a certain date

This forum is for programmers who have questions about the source code.
JLM

Calculate a/r as of a certain date

Post by JLM » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:25 pm

Sold my practice including A/R and now I work for the new owner.
Income from collections of A/R is taxed differently than normal income....
I need to calculate all of the patient balances as of 12/31/2018.
Then, for those that had a balance, I need to calculate the charges and payments made since then to get a reasonable *estimate* of how much of the collections from 2019 was A/R collections and not new production.

1) Is there a way to do this already so I don't have to reinvent the wheel? I'm betting no...
2) If not, where is the opening balance for an account stored? I can write code to total up charges, payment and adjustments, but there must be an opening balance somewhere... right?

Thanks,

Jim

cmcgehee

Re: Calculate a/r as of a certain date

Post by cmcgehee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:29 pm

I looked through our query examples but I didn't see one that would accomplish this. Our query team could write something for you, I'm sure: https://opendentalsoft.com:1943/ODQuery ... tForm.aspx.

The program doesn't really have the concept of an opening balance. Sometimes when we convert a database from another software, we post an adjustment for the patient's balance, but that doesn't sound applicable here.
Chris McGehee
Open Dental Software
http://www.opendental.com

JLM

Re: Calculate a/r as of a certain date

Post by JLM » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:18 am

The DB was a conversion from Dentrix which was a manual conversion from another software package. In the manual conversion, we entered in starting balances to the Dentrix accounts. So, somehow, somewhere a starting balance had to exist for patients who had been with us since before 2002. I think I remember some weird adjustments in OpenDental when we converted so I will look for those.

Thanks

Jim