New API Request

For requests or help with our API
mandmdiet

New API Request

Post by mandmdiet » Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:50 am

Hello friends

We would like to request that a new API be created to enable us to split a claim the way the application does when a user clicks Split Claim in the Edit Claim window. Below are the details:

Use Case

We have a requirement in our application to be able to split a claim via an API call. The workflow would look like this:
  1. New Claim Created
  2. We find and bring a new claim into our application (using ShortQuery)
  3. A user determines that the claim needs to be split
  4. The user clicks the Split Claim button in our application, selecting which procedures to split into a new claim
  5. We use the Open Dental API to request that the claim be split, passing the ClaimNum and the procedures that should be put in the new claim.
Request Details

This request probably doesn't require a lot of extra details, but I'd like to just explicitly mention a few things to add clarity that would probably be a given anyway.
  • The current Open Dental claim split code has validation that is run to ensure the claim and procedures are valid for splitting in the way requested. Our expectation is that Open Dental would still run this validation and return an error if we didn't meet the requirements of this validation.
  • Upon success we would request that Open Dental returns the newly created ClaimNum for us to be able to easily find the new claim.
Source Code

I am unaware of more than one set of code for splitting a claim in Open Dental, but in case there is some somewhere, I'll include our source code research to make sure we don't miscommunicate something.

After looking at the source, the initiating of the claim split is in OpenDental.FormClaimEdit.butSplit_Click. It does some validation, then the rest of the workload is handed off to the business layer, specifically OpenDentBusiness.Claims.InsertSplitClaim, to perform the split. This is the code we're referring to in our above request.

We really appreciate everyone's hard work on the Open Dental development team and how quickly they work to help fulfill API requests. I've been in software development for 22 years and I have never seen a company work so hard to prioritize API work like this. Please let me know if there are any questions that I can answer.

SLeon

Re: New API Request

Post by SLeon » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:08 pm

Thank you for the intended use case and notes for this method. It is very helpful in the implementation process. We will discuss claim splitting at our next API meeting and update this thread by tomorrow.
Last edited by SLeon on Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:15 pm

SLeon wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:08 pm
Thank you for the intended use case and for this method. It is very helpful in the implementation process. We will discuss claim splitting at our next API meeting and update this thread by tomorrow.
Thank you SLeon!

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:07 pm

We will add a new method to split claims via the API. It has been added to our development list and we will start implementing it fairly shortly.

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:42 pm

SLeon wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:07 pm
We will add a new method to split claims via the API. It has been added to our development list and we will start implementing it fairly shortly.
Thank you SLeon, we appreciate it and will watch for updates.

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:07 am

SLeon wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:07 pm
Hello SLeon, is there any update on this request?

Thank you

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:32 am

Yes, Claims PUT Split is nearly complete and will likely be finished within the week.

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:47 am

Wow, you guys are fast, thank you so much.

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:19 am

Claims PUT Split is compete. It will move the specified procedures from an existing claim to a new claim, adhering to the same validation process as in Open Dental.

This method is available in 22.1.17. See https://www.opendental.com/site/apiclaims.html for more information.

mandmdiet

Post by mandmdiet » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:02 pm

Thank you so much guys!