API endpoint to creat API Key

For requests or help with our API
PBECKER

API endpoint to creat API Key

Post by PBECKER » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:37 am

Hello API Team,

Instead of having to manually log into the Open Dental API site and having to click >add > to create a new key we're needing the ability to create the tier 3 key via an API Put method.

In the future it would also be nice to disable a key via an API call.

Pretty please with a cherry on the TOP!

-Pedro

SLeon

Re: API endpoint to creat API Key

Post by SLeon » Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:13 pm

This is a great question and I want to fully address your inquiry.

The Developer Portal is secure, requiring a username and password. We would have to add this entirely new layer of validation to the current API model. The portal also requires active human interaction to log in and click to add a new API key. An automated way to do this would open the opportunity to (accidentally) call the key generation in a loop, flooding the developer with keys that can never be deleted.

While we may make changes to this process in the future, for now, API customer keys will continue to be made through the Developer Portal website. Is there additional functionality it needs to support your desired workflow?

PBECKER

Post by PBECKER » Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:43 pm

Hello Sarah

we agree the od api side is secure.

the issue is were running out of keys that we have to manually add each time.

our goal is either add api keys via an api get method or have a 15 days stored on our database ready for use.

Please let me know

Thank you Sarah

justine

Post by justine » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:04 am

PBECKER wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:43 pm
Hello Sarah

we agree the od api side is secure.

the issue is were running out of keys that we have to manually add each time.

our goal is either add api keys via an api get method or have a 15 days stored on our database ready for use.

Please let me know

Thank you Sarah
Good morning PBECKER,

I can bring this up in our next API meeting but like Sarah said, while we may make changes to this process in the future, for now, API customer keys will continue to be made through the Developer Portal website.

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:56 pm

Could you please elaborate on the bolded portion below?
PBECKER wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:43 pm
If I understand you correctly, there is nothing in the Developer Portal preventing you from generating several Customer API Keys and keeping them unassigned. This is the way you could have a set of new API keys you can assign to your customers as they sign up for your software without utliizng the Developer Portal website each time.

dcrider

Post by dcrider » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:45 pm

Are generated but unassigned keys charged each month, or are they only charged after being entered at the practice's OpenDental installation?

justine

Post by justine » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:54 pm

dcrider wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:45 pm
Are generated but unassigned keys charged each month, or are they only charged after being entered at the practice's OpenDental installation?
Hello dcrider,

Generated keys are only charged after being entered in at the practice's Open Dental installation.