Local API Service Authorization

For requests or help with our API
Maxillo

Local API Service Authorization

Post by Maxillo » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:47 pm

Hello,

I have used the demo office remote API and have been able to use it to retrieve information from patient charts successfully with a python script.

I would like to adapt this python script to use on my network using the API service running on my server. I understand the API_URL will need to point to the local server but will I need an API key as well, and if so, where do I find it or request it?

Also, as far as I understand I do not need to register using the API service with Open Dental, correct?

Thanks, much appreciated.

SLeon

Re: Local API Service Authorization

Post by SLeon » Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:15 am

Good morning,

First, please see our documentation on the Local API and API Service. There is also a getting started guide on the API Service specifically.

The Remote, Local, and Service modes of the API all use the same set of credentials for a dental office, there is no additional "registration" required. The only different in request structure is the URL, which will differ slightly.

Maxillo

Post by Maxillo » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:02 am

Thanks. I've read the guides and documentation.

So to use the API service I need to request an API authorization code specific to my local server?

SLeon

Post by SLeon » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:38 pm

Your 'Authorization' header in Local/Service API Modes will be the same as the 'Authorization" header you already use in your Remote API requests.